Pages

Tuesday 31 January 2017

Book Musings - The Prince's Surprise Bride by Devika Fernando

Title : The Prince's Surprise Bride
Author : Devika Fernando
Series : Royal Romance, Book 3
Genre : Romance, Contemporary
Source : Review copy from the author

Blurb :

When Jessica is accidentally involved in the kidnapping of the Crown Prince of Eirik, her life turns upside down. Not only does she start questioning everything she has taken for granted, but she also falls head over heels in love with the charming Norse royal. Reality returns with a vengeance after their short but exhilarating time together, and Jessica is forced to bury all hopes for a love-filled fairytale and fight for her future as well as her ailing father’s health. But then Prince Erik makes her an offer too good to refuse. Should she listen to her heart or her head?


Prince Erik has always put his kingdom before himself, but that changes when fate tempts him with this amazing woman from Germany. He is determined to win Jessica over, even if it means opening up old wounds. When push comes to shove and not only his heart but also his country is at stake, will he find the strength to make love overcome all obstacles thrown into their path?

My Musings :

I am in love.. I am in love... I am in love! That's how I feel after reading this book. I was singing the song from Dhadkan because I fell so hard for Erik!!

Even if the book was a bit longer with the focus on Erik I would have  happily continued reading it. I feel that Jessica might have been a bit overshadowed by Erik but only slightly because she has a separate appeal to her. This is a book which has appealed to me because of both characters and story. Erik is such a special person. He isn't like a normal prince, he is down to earth and not domineering but a tiny bit aloof with people outside his circle. The way he reacts to Jessica is intriguing and adorable. I know that's an unusual combination but that's what I felt while reading their story.

The heroine, Jessica was burned in her past so I can understand her reticence in having faith in Erik. She is not fazed by material wealth but she gets timid because of the past hurt. What made me love her was her determination near the end to stand by Erik inspite of her doubts. I understand how much she had to get beyond herself to accomplish that.She reveals her courage when she needs it.

Another enjoyable part was the re-introduction of characters from the previous books in the series which show them in various stages of their lives. I love knowing the post life of a book's characters!
There is no dearth of new side characters too. I loved meeting Erik's family and friends. I admit I was not enamoured of Siv but I could understand where she was coming from. The characters I am most curious about are Erik's sister, the Queen and Siv. I think they have interesting stories of their own for us. *hint hint*

If the characters are golden in my opinion, the story is no less. It starts with a bang! The kidnapping paves the way to know the mettle of the protagonists. The flow of the tale was in a quick manner with no unnecessary scenes and the language was easy to follow. The author's writing shines in the interactions between the protagonists and in keeping a reader's attention without being diverted at any point.

The romance was perfect in my opinion, neither too steamy but with the right amount of love and lust to be in perfect sync with the characters. I recommend this book to all the romance lovers out there! But beware of the cliff hanger ending. The author has a bad habit of making me eager to read the next book in the series with her interconnected endings!

I received a review copy from the author and that fact doesn't shadow or change my review in any way.

My one line review : A loveable set of characters and an interesting soft romance!

My rating : 5/5

My reread factor : 4/5

Floryie

2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing review. Thanks a lot, Floryie! It's readers like you who keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) You will always have us cheering for you as long as you craft books like this!!

      Delete