Pages

Saturday 27 February 2016

Book Musings - Love, Exes, and Ohs by Violet Duke

Title : Love,Exes, and Ohs
Author : Violet Duke
Series : Cactus Creek, Book 4
Genre : Contemporary Romance
Source : Purchased

Blurb : 

He may very well be the perfect ex. Isaac McKnight has had enough loss in his life to know never to take anything for granted. So when the perfectly-imperfect-woman-for-him puts an end to their relationship out of the blue, it's Isaac that makes sure they remain friends. Now a year later, whether it's at his gym or her brewpub, or the dog park they visit every weekend--though neither of them own a dog--he and Xoey are steadily getting sucked deeper into buddy-zone galaxy, with its dangerous proximity to watch-me-settle-down-with-someone-else abyss. It's a reality he's resigned himself to. That is...until one drunken confession changes everything.

She's looking for the perfect oh. For Xoey Montenegro, history has taught her that sometimes, it's Prince Charming who vanishes without a trace. And fairytale love? Highly overrated. Heck, give her a real and perfect 'oh' over that fantasy any day. So as far as rock-solid tequila-fueled plans for her love life go, coming up with a match-finding formula based on the qualities of the men responsible for her three most epic ohs seems brilliant. Except for the fact that one-third of her genius little man-quation is all about her friend Isaac. Actually, more than a third if Xoey were being honest with herself--which she's not. Because full honesty would require thinking not just about how perfect Isaac really is, but also about how perfect the fourth epic oh she's kept buried deep in her past once was.

My Musings : 

I was browsing Amazon for new reads when I came across this book. The blurb totally caught my fancy with the first line - "He may very well be the perfect ex..." I was intrigued since it isn't often that I come across an ex boyfriend who turns best friend read. Actually this is the first such read and I can see myself reading more books of this theme in the future.

While the blurb made me fall for the story though it is a bit lengthy, the book cover wasn't much to pique my interest. It has a general romance read feel to it but it doesn't add anything special. The story doesn't suit the cover as far as I am concerned.

This is the first book I have read by the author and I am looking forward to her other books too. She has gone onto my list of To-Be-Read romance authors. The story starts off good with the present situation of Isaac and Xoey being best friends inspite of having broken up as a couple a while back. The backstory about their relationship is shown as the story progresses. The protagonists share a deep connection in this tale. Their emotions are clearly defined and they shine through each page.

Xoey is a free spirit with strength of character who deals with the world on her own terms but her vulnerable side is shown in short glimpses while Isaac is a patient and calm guy who perfectly complements Xoey. The other characters I encountered while reading totally made me fall for this series. This is the fourth book and I can't wait to pick up the first book. The supporting cast is colourful and unique in their own rights adding the right vibe to the tale.

Since the author made it clear that Xoey and Isaac are destined for each other, it didn't have much twists to the plot except a couple. The first one was kind of anticipated while the second blindsided me completely but it does connect the threads of the story seamlessly. I read this book in half a day and the layers of the story kept me invested in the characters, the town and the story.

Though it is a fun read it has an emotional tone to it which makes it a not so frivolous read. I read it purely to know about the struggles Isaac and Xoey go through to get to their happily ever after inspite of knowing the ending. In short, it is a great book to connect with the characters and I was lost in them. I can recommend this book to all romance readers out there without any hesitation.

My rating : 4.5/5

My reread factor : 4/5

My one line review : A emotional romance with strong and real characters in a delightful scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment